Strong feelings have been expressed in several quarters about Pope Francis’ meeting with Kim Davis. I agree wholeheartedly that meeting was distinctly ill – advised, especially (as Francis DeBenardo points out, considering that he did not meet personally with any of the LGBT Catholics and Catholic groups that had hoped to meet with him).
It’s important though, to keep this in perspective. At America magazine, James Martin SJ, who has a strong record of support for LGBT Catholics, directs us to some points for reflection:, which I summarise here (read the full post at America):
- Conscience Formation, Spiritual Formation, and The Holy Spirit
- What is the “Formation of Conscience?”
- Pope Francis, Kim Davis – and the Primacy of Conscience
- A “Conscience Vote” for Catholics in Irish Referendum!
- For Queer Catholics, Conscience is Key!
- Australian Bishop’s “Case for Gay Marriage”
- Cardinal Schonborn: Same-sex couples also need families
- Cardinal Schonborn, on “Amoris Laetitia”
- Schonborn: “Doctrine is Not a Series of Abstract Statements”